READ Hebrews 12.1-2 and John 15.11
Who is the happiest person who ever existed? Few would give the correct answer. Jesus is. His ministry even his suffering and crucifixion was filled with joy and gladness. He is the blessed redeemer.
In today’s study we look deeper into the happiness of Christ. For if we focus on Jesus, we’ll find his joy. Perhaps you’ve been told it disrespects Jesus to call him happy. As we’ll see the Bible calls him happy. To call him anything but happy is a poor witness of his character.
Instead we need to embrace who he is and do what he did to be truly happy.
Where did Jesus’ happiness come from?
From the Word (Psalm 1.1-3)
From the Father (Isaiah 61.10)
From his followers (Luke 10.21)
From sinners (Luke 15.1-6)
From God’s Plan (Hebrews 12.2)
THINK IT OVER
- How do you think Jesus is often portrayed?
- How was Jesus able to find happiness even in tragic and terrifying circumstances?
- What was the ‘joy set before him’?
- How can the happiness of Jesus carry us through times of suffering and discouragement?
- How does the happiness of believers draw people to God & the gospel?