How to Read the Psalms
Read Psalm 1.1-3 & Psalm 150.6
BIG IDEA : The book of Psalms is a book of prayers that blesses broken people.
- Psalms is a book with five books.
- Psalms moves us from lamentation to praise.
- Psalms helps us navigate sacred pathways.
- Psalms fuels the journey with faith and hope.
- Psalms shapes worship.
What’s next? We won’t know the Psalms until we pray the Psalms.
THINK IT OVER
- How would you describe the book of Psalms to someone who has read only the New Testament?
- Why would recognizing the 5 books of the Psalms make the ancient Hebrews think of the Psalms as a new Torah?
- What is a “lament?” How is crying out to God part of our prayer as God’s people?
- What is praise? How is praise part of our prayer as God’s people?
- How can praise, thanksgiving, and lament be useful tools in evangelism?